A Customer-Centric Approach to Product Strategy:
Best Practices for Gathering Customer Insights
One of the most valuable assets product managers can possess is the information they have about their customers. When product teams have the right information, the job of designing powerful, intuitive, and easy-to-use interfaces becomes much simpler. When they don't, every little decision becomes a struggle.
The collection of customer data is not only important to ensure that your product is easy to use. It's required to identify whether you are building features that your customers really need and value. Customer data can tell you what features you've left out of your product, even before you've written the first line of code.
In this presentation, product strategist and usability expert, Christine Perfetti will share techniques for gathering customer insights throughout the development process. You will learn how to:
- Conduct interviews with customers in the Product Discovery stage to validate (or disprove) your hypotheses
- Plan and run a field study to learn about customers' goals, desires, attitudes, and context
- Build paper prototypes during the first few weeks of a project to simulate every aspect of the product
- Identify key usability problems using traditional usability testing
- Rapidly make major changes to a product's design and find out exactly how the changes improve the product
- Apply advanced usability techniques, such as 5 Second Tests and Inherent Value Tests, to quickly evaluate your product
Timeline for the evening:
6:15 pm: Registration opens
6:30 - 7:15 pm: Informal & structured networking (light refreshments are served)
7:20 - 7:30 pm: Announcements
7:30 - 8:30 pm: Speaker presentation
8:30 - 8:40 pm: Q&A
8:40 - 9:00 pm: Wrap up, networking follow up and depart
Premium Members: Free if you pre-register online at least one day prior to event or $10 at the door
Guests and Free Members: $25 if you pre-register and pay online at least one day prior to event or $35 at the door
Speaker: Christine Perfetti
Christine Perfetti is CEO and Founding Principal of Perfetti Media. If you've ever met Christine, you know she's passionate about teaching design and product teams how to tackle their problems. For more than a decade, she has taught hundreds of teams and consulted with dozens of clients on product strategy and user experience techniques.
With her extensive knowledge of human factors and user research techniques, Christine has been a top-rated presenter at the User Interface Conference, the Internet Marketing Conference, CHI, and the Usability Professionals' Association Conference. She's co-presented with User Interface Engineering's Jared Spool at many User Experience and Design events, including the UIE Roadshow. Christine has also taught Human Factors at the Tufts University Gordon Institute for Engineering Management.
Click Here to view Christine's presentation.